LOADING...
X

ROSA Drill Press Restoration | The Best Italian Made Sensitive Drill Press!

14 Jul 2019 | about 4 months ago

Login And Send us A Support Ticket For Submit your Issue! Click Here For Login

Comming Soon!
The Italian manufacturer "F.lli Rosa" also known as "Trapani Rosa" made some of the best drill press over the twentieth century. The one I got is the popular RS1, it's a precision drill press, also know as "sensitive" drill press used for precision mechanical work to drill up to 10mm holes. This tool is huge and very heavy (95kg - 210lb) considering the size of holes it was made to drill and the relatively short travel, this makes for a very rigid, stable and precise drill press. While restoring this beauty I was really impressed by the quality of every single component, all parts have a perfect fit with eachother, most of the sliding surfaces are ground or scraped and fortunatly, since it was decently greased over the years, no fasteners where sized at all and it all came apart very nicely.
Over the 50/60 years of his life this tool present a couple of small modification:
I am pretty sure the handle it's not original (since the shaft has threads on the end) and the one I have here looks like a file handle; looking at photos online it looks like the original had a black ball as handle.
Then the switch has been changed at some point since it does not fit the opening on the side and the holding plate (that I remade off camera) was hand cut and poorly made.
Finally the pulley on the spindle is not original since it only has two stages instead of three.
This last difference would have bored me way more if I hadn't planned to use a vdf to drive the three phase 380v motor.
Speaking of the vfd and the motor, you may have noticed I didn't mounted the vfd properly at the end. Reason being the motor tends to get pretty hot (60/70°c) after just a couple of minutes of running over the vfd. I haven't figured out why yet. Voltage and frequency are set correctly and the motor runs at the appropriate speed for the delta connection I used (2200rpm) but it still runs too hot. It might be that this older kind of motor is not isolated well enough for a vfd use. I still have plenty alternatives to make the drill run off this motor like using capacitors or other kind of phase converter before investing into a re-winding or even worst a motor swap. We will see, I'll get around that soon as I really want to use this drill press from now on in my projects!
EDIT:
Earlier this week I fixed the motor-VFD issue. I've looked online for other RS1 drill press and found some with a similar Marelli motor but with wiring diagram in the plaque. Luckily following the manufacturer wiring solved the overheat problem. So the problem was... Me!
Finally, for those that always ask about cost and price:
- Bought the drill press for 150€ and spent at least 50€ for transport (driving and road cost).
- Replacing all ball bearings was cheaper than I expected at 35€ since all bearing are common.
- Paint stripper, hammered paint and hammered solvent came in at around 30€
- VFD bought here https://blackbeardproject.page.link/VFD for 90€ (yes, affiliate link)
- Hard to quantify consumables but I guess at least 50€
So yeah, not cheap at all at the end but it's worth it for a quality tool like this, it would sell for 500€ easily now, I have no doubt. Of course I would never sell this now, I love it too much!

List of producs used and operations:
I won't bother to explain every single step, too many this time! If you want to know something else you know where to ask.
0:33 Penetrating oil (mix of sintetic motor oil and mineral spirit) to help release stuff
2:16 Was able to get the spring off without unwiding it! That's luck!
4:00 Wire wheel for all the steel parts with surface rust
4:27 New ball bearings everywhere, it took some doing but it's worth it
6:28 Degreaser spray and toothbrush for the hard to reach areas
8:00 Thin oil used on all fasteners and sliding surfaces
8:20 A lot of degreaser once again
9:08 Paint stripper
9:53 Final degreasing with nitro solvant before paint
10:09 Masking with tape
10:40 Spray painting with hammered finish paint, four coats, still the hammered finish was not that good or visible... Nevermind.
Fast and effortless way to clean small parts:
11:44 Degreasing with nitro solvent, 20 min in the ultrasonic cleaner
12:04 Removing rust with rust removal fluid, 20 min in the ultrasonic cleaner again
12:15 A coat of oil and it's done, perfectly clean
15:00 Fine steel wool always leaves a nice finish without removing material, handy for a part like this one
16:51 this part was plasting and fell apart, made a new one,
18:01 Very nice "Metabo Futuro" keyless chuck cleaned again with the ultrasonic cleaner all togheter

Thanks a lot for watching, I hope you liked the video!
Suggestions and comments are welcome.
Leave a like and share to anyone who might be interested!

★Patreon★
https://www.patreon.com/blackbeardprojects

★Website★
http://blackbeardproject.com/

★Follow me★
Facebook ► https://www.facebook.com/BlackBeardProjects/
Twitter ► https://twitter.com/BlackBeardProje
Instagram ► https://www.instagram.com/black_beard_projects/

00:00

1970 Vintage Rotary Dial Telephone RESTORATION


00:00

A Decent Vise For My Rosa Drill Press | Restoration

00:00

I turn a Stainless Bolt into a Combination Lock

00:00

Type R Rocker Cover Restoration ( OEM Wrinkle )

00:00

1958s Vintage Drill Press Hitachi Restoration

00:00

Stick Welding A Simple But Sturdy Workbench

00:00

TILLER RESTORATION (Will It Ever Run Again)

00:00

1940's Corking Machine Restoration

00:00

Make An Ulu Out Of A Sawblade

00:00

1960s ACME Stapler [Restoration]