Experimenting with stabilizing cork to make unique handle material.
The process is just the same as any other wood stabilization but I call it an experiment because I am not using proper cork wood but one of those mixture of small particles of cork and sawdust that is used, like this one I got, for many application around the house: under pot, wine stopper and so on.
As it turns out this material can be stabilized but the end result is not as hard as other wood I tried to stabilize. I guess the particle composition plays a big role!
I love the look of it anyway, it's probably not as durable as other handle I made but it's surely one of the most unique.
Index of operation and materials:
0:15 Marking two pieces
0:27 Cutting with bandsaw
0:54 Checking moisture content, needs to be as close to 0% as possible
1:05 Locking down pieces l so they don't float in the stabilizing resin
1:15 Completely covering in stabilizing resin
1:28 Slowly raising vacuum to prevent excessive bubbling
1:55 Taking to maximum vaccum and holding it for 4 hours
2:06 Slowly releasing vacuum.
2:24 Parts needs to be left soaking inside the stabilizing resin after releasing vacuum. (overnight 12 hours)
2:33 Packing each piece individually in aluminum foil
2:57 Lefover resin can be collected and used over and over
3:08 Curing resin (stabilizing resin activates with heat) 2 hours at 95°C (203°F)
3:45 Grinding to shape
4:40 Harder and stiffer than regular cork for sure
4:53 Drilling some holes
5:09 Cutting off excess material
5:37 Glueing with epoxy resin
6:20 More grinding on the 2x72 belt grinder, this material is so easy to grind btw
7:25 Mandatory hand sanding up to 1200 grit
8:10 Boiled linseed oil as finish, cork really absorb a lot of oil.
Thanks a lot for watching, I hope you liked the video!
Suggestions and comments are welcome.
Leave a like and share to anyone who might be interested!
And be sure to subscribe and ring the bell if you are new here so you don't miss upcoming projects!